Thursday, November 19, 2009

A switch to non-fiction

A Thousand Acres is a 1991 novel by American author Jane Smiley. It won the 1992 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction. The novel is a contemporary deconstruction of Shakespeare's King Lear and is set on a thousand acre farm in Iowa that is owned by a family of a father and his three daughters. It is told through the point of view of the oldest daughter, Ginny. (Wikipedia)


Photobucket

I finished this yesterday.

Very well written. Interesting trip into the world of agriculture. Unpleasant voyage into the realms of dysfunctional family. Sometimes there's a little fun in dys'fun'ctional. Not here.


This is my new read.

Photobucket

An early Christmas present from Rich! Yay!!


I've never had one of these machines and I'm very excited to crank it up and start cooking.


For the first 15 years of marriage, Rich would frequently remove the knife from my hand and offer to chop, dice, mince or julienne whatever might be on the cutting board in front of me. This typically resulted in an insulted and cheesed wife. I don't deny I may have nicked a finger in the past, but I'm not a danger to myself or others when wielding a knife.


Either I've become more competent with a knife or Rich determined it wasn't in his interest to insult my food prep skills when I was near the cold steel. Good man that he is, he hasn't stepped in for years. I love it when we cook together, just not when he tries to play through.


Now when he tries to butt in it'll be because he wants to play with the shiny new Cuisinart! Woohoo!!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing your yummy Wanda Bar-z dip with us. Thanks to the little champ that diced it all. Those little geniuses are handy!

    ReplyDelete