Monday, March 16, 2009

My mezzo-soprano


Here's Emily. My little bit of sunshine.

I just returned from driving Emily to school and was still laughing as I pulled into the garage. I usually don't have the radio on when I'm driving the girls around so it's quiet enough for them to be able to talk. I love this time because there's no telephone or TV or computer game vying for their attention. The almost Spring sun was slowly starting to come up over the hills behind us. As I drove down the hill I was looking at the green shoots of bulbs breaking through the dirt and birds hopping on the lawns... kind of in my own private Idaho for a bit. Then I woke a little and heard Em singing. It wasn't a tune I was familiar with and the words didn't ring a bell so I listened more closely. Emily had on her deep opera voice......

"...must go back to the building of doom.
It isn't a place of cheer- but gloom.
ten times ten, and twelve divided by threeee,
pencil sharpeners growl and growl at me..."

I can't remember all of it but dang she is so funny! I'd laugh and she would produce another line of Elementary School Operatic Tragedy. Just off the cuff, impromptu singing. It was the most delightful way to start off a school week. Kind of a musical rant about school for eight year olds. She is so creative and smart! (By the way, Rich and I went to the opera this year with my folks. Regina. Thought it would be great. American composer, has some ragtime. Utah Opera Company. It was beautifully executed but the most painfully depressing opera ever. Em's little outburst was more comedic/tragic than Regina.) I'm so excited to see where Emily's talents and
interests lead her!

3 comments:

  1. Let's just hope she doesn't ever sing in the opera Regina and we all have to go support her in it! Opera, fine; but not Regina!!
    Spring, children, life...sweet days to cherish forever! Thank heavens for memory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily is such the free spirit! I hope she used that stanza at some point in her schoolwork. I would give her an A+++++ for that clever little ditty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily does have a sunny personality. It's cool that you're logging these fun little incidents. I've been copying my blog pages to a CD..just in case the blog site disappears one day. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete