Thursday, September 17, 2009

Sweet Ralphie




Sweet Ralphie Prancer
1995 - 2009
Today our boy died. He had a good long life, nearly 15 years. He only barked when the doorbell rang. (he hadn't barked in a long time as he was deaf and couldn't hear the doorbell anymore.) He'd been losing his eyesight for some time and in recent weeks lost all vision. He was getting hurt running into things and falling down the stairs. It was time to let him go. Even though it was the right time and the kindest thing we could do for him, our hearts are aching.
Rich built a casket and we buried him in our yard in one of his favorite places. Emily wrote her goodbye on the wood and taped a doggie treat on as well. Sarah and Emily filled in the grave. Sarah did it almost singlehandedly... she insisted.























We love him and will miss him dearly. We're hoping tomorrow will be a little better.

8 comments:

  1. Oh I'm so sorry! I hope tomorrow is better too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Tiff. I am so sorry your family lost such a sweet little dog. He was such a good boy! What a difficult thing to do. Hugs to all of you. I will miss him, too.
    Loves, Hona

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh - so sad to hear you've lost him. I hope he just laid down and went to sleep. Hope the girls are ok - I know losing a pet can be really hard on everyone. Tiffany, hope you are ok too - I know he was your baby. Lark

    ReplyDelete
  4. Once again, how blessed we are to have our memories of good times, dear loved ones and sweet doggies. Ralphie served our Tiffany with all his heart when she needed comfort the most and we will be forever grateful for him. He tried to be rough and tough but was really just a sweetie pie who asked for little more than a back rub with your foot. I think he is feeling good now and getting aquainted with Buster and Mitzi and Sheba and Sophie and all the other really good dogs of especially high character and devotion.

    We love you, Ralphie

    ReplyDelete
  5. So well said, Mom. I am not sure if Jonah will be as exalted as Ralphie, but I suppose they'll track each other down, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. The girls made it through school today in reasonably good form. Just a few tears. I did much better once I got busy. Life is good and it does just move right along. Thanks again for the support. What good women you all are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Guenther and I are sad to learn that Ralphie has gone. We know he gave all of you so much pleasure, and your photos of him are great.He was a lucky little guy to have such a loving family. Love, Grandma Jeannine and Grandpa Guenther

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cute dog! I am sorry that it was time for him to go, but you really did the kindest thing possible for him in that situation. I hope that you and your family heal quickly. You all are in my thoughts!

    ReplyDelete