Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Addendum

I just reread my previous post and have determined that it is adequate. There are some nice pictures (I just learned how to make them bigger so one isn't required to hold a magnifying glass to the screen) and there are captions that describe the photos. The meat and potatoes are there but it's missing the gravy, sides and dessert. Here comes the rest of the meal.

Before this outing, Rich and I had never been to Timpanogos Cave. We tried last year in the early fall but were turned away because the inn was full. They sell a certain number of tickets in advance and then allow the rest of the space for walk ins. We tried again this summer without having purchased tickets in advance thinking it was a weekday and we'd be fine. Wrong. Instead we went to Thanksgiving Point and then to Cabela's. Rich's coworker said to be there by 6 pm so we could watch the feeding of the fish. We thought that would be fun until one of my tender daughters' faces grew pale watching a whole school of adorable goldfish get annihilated by an assortment of bass, trout, catfish, etc.
I digress.

My sister in law Connie suggested over Sunday dinner a while back that we should hike up to the caves on our way to the cabin. (The cabin is our favorite vacation every year because we get to be together. Post to follow.) Because I'm a quick learner, I bought the tickets in advance for the whole crew. We drove down and met Tony, Connie and my niece Megan at the visitors center. We were supposed to begin our hike by a certain time to be at the cave entrance at the appointed hour. Tatiana and Henry and their kids hadn't made it yet and we decided we better start hiking. We took it slow and kept looking back to see if they were coming.

No sign.
Hope they make it.
Can't get a signal to give them a call.

That's when Connie turned around and hiked back down to wait for them at the parking lot. It was hot, and a steep hike and she'd have to do part of it over again. That's who Connie is. Later in the hike, Connie asked a mother toting a good sized baby up the mountain on her hip if she could carry her baby for awhile. Of course the mom said yes because Connie is Connie. You just know she can love anyone's child unconditionally. (I'm continually grateful for the sister my brother chose for me and the brother my sister chose for me. Connie and Henry. In laws don't get better than this.) A few minutes later we were able to look waaay down and see them in the parking lot. We hooted and hollered (Tony was yelling "Riiicolaaaa") and waved and were happy to see them.
Twenty minutes or so later, they caught up to us. They had worked hard to catch up and had the red faces to show for it. We cheered again and hugged and made a lot of noise. It felt so good when they finally made it.

The hike was beautiful. The views down the canyon are amazing and the dark cool of the cave with all its formations was incredible. The part of the day that is the most memorable for me is when we all came together. Corny, I know. I can't help it. I love my family.

2 comments:

  1. I'm hoping that in Heaven there is something like family blogs from mortality so that we can share in moments like this. Thank you. All is well in my world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Mom's' comment just made me cry...at work. :)

    ReplyDelete