Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Baked goods.

Oh dear.

Emily was invited to the birthday party of a darling little girl in her school. Courtney's her name.

Today was the big day. Meet at the birthday girl's home, laugh, visit, then head over to the rec center to go swimming. Fun!

I picked Em up and asked if she had a good time. This story poured forth:


Em- "...we were swimming and then when we were done we saw this naked lady! Just sitting on a bench. Naked!"

Me- "You mean, where everyone could see?"

Em- "Yeah! She didn't even go into the place with the curtains where you're supposed to change! She was just sitting there on this bench!!"

Me- "So... you were in the girl's locker room? Well that's not so bad then."

Em- "But she was just there right in the middle of everyone! And then she stood up and dried off!!!" (oh the horror. At this point, Em is in the passenger seat showing me how this woman held her towel behind her back and dried herself. Her face is distorted in various grimaces)

Me- laughing. silently.

Em- "And that's not all. There was another naked girl. A teenager. And she put on a bra and it was NOT modest. It went like this (motions with hands how low this bra plunged) and her mmm mmm's were round. They looked like cupcakes! That other lady that was old.... her mmm mmm's, do you know what I mean Mom? Her mmm mmm's looked like loaves of bread!! Scarred! I'm scarred I tell you!"



Me- driving erratically while cracking up.


Let me state that Sarah and Emily have both been swimming with the local swim team for a year now. I've gone in the locker room to find them when they were dawdling and typically see people changing in the shower or private changing areas. I did think that by this time Emily would have run into a few nekkid ladies. Apparently not.

May I also state that I have always tried to use correct anatomical terminology for body parts. Scratch that. Not always. But usually. I can stipulate that I have never referred to a body part as an "mmm mmm". I can only guess that she was substituting for something that rhymes with shoebies.

I'm loving this gig.

5 comments:

  1. Em is so sweet...I empathize with her..I dislike scary swimming pool locker rooms also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. gee-ross! You know me and public pools, yes? I could hardly make it through this post.
    Blech! Em, I am so sorry that you experienced the National Geographic side of the rec center. ...ever-so-sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm laughing so hard right now...and Jason is on the other end of the phone laughing ...he's in Jackson Hole this week, and this was his bed time story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Emily is a crack up! I can just imagine her face while she was telling this story. I hope that poor older lady didn't hear any of the girls talk about her mmm-mmm's.

    ReplyDelete
  5. p.s. I guess loaves of bread are better to have than baguettes. :)

    ReplyDelete