Sunday, March 21, 2010

Ahh... here it comes.


I knew it would finally happen.

Photobucket

Spring is coming!



Photobucket

This is the tree I see when I look out our kitchen window. And those fluffy white clouds in a blue sky were gratefully received after our fair share of inversion days.


Photobucket
This is looking toward the West. There's a scrub jay at the feeder and some fatboys (a.k.a. male California Quail) in the tree.

Photobucket
I don't know what kind of bird this is other than tiny and darling.


Photobucket
The beautiful bird hanging out in our bush is a Rufous Sided Towhee. He and his pals really like it in there. I took this pic on a grey day a few weeks ago.


Photobucket
More of tiny and darling. I know this isn't in keeping with the Audobon Society's mission, but I would very much like to paint those itty bitty toenails fuschia.

Photobucket

These are Cedar Waxwings.


Photobucket

Check out the little crests on their heads and the bandit masks over their eyes. Love these birds. We don't see them all winter long. It's fun when they show up.


Photobucket
They're very social. I've never seen just one. More like seven to ten at a time. This picture was taken looking through our tree... they're sitting in the neighbor's tree.


Photobucket
This beauty is a female California Quail. I love seeing them up in our tree rather than running around on the ground. Much more elegant when they're not waddling about. (words to live by)

Now you know... I've become a birder. Not a very good one. But I'm having so much fun watching the birds outside our window.

Get ready folks. All signs are pointing to Spring!

2 comments:

  1. What lovely little birdies! PW would be so proud of that shallow depth of field. You are good at knowing the names of our feathered friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've inspired me to spend more time looking in the trees for cute little birdies. I've been hearing them, but not seeing them. And I'm sure that bird would love some fingernail polish. I totally think you should do it. Just don't let PETA find out.

    ReplyDelete