Sunday, January 24, 2010

Baker's Dozen

.
I have a friend who posted a random sampler about herself. Twelve mostly unrelated tidbits. It got me thinking (dangerous, I know) and I decided to share a few of my own.

1. I'm typing this while wearing my daughter's U of U baseball hat. I've never been a baseball hat girl. I was just curious how I'd look in it. My hair's up in a ponytail and pulled through the hole in the back. I'm not including a picture because this look doesn't increase my hip and cool quotient, at all.


2. There is a green twig in a little ceramic pot on my kitchen windowsill; the remains of an orchid given to me by a friend when our dog Ralphie died. I nearly threw it out because I'm not gifted in the horticultural arts. I'll be darned if there isn't a little bud on the end of that twig!


3. The Superbowl is in two weeks. I don't particularly care about the game, but I'm interested to know who's going to be playing during halftime. Tom Petty a few years ago was great. I know... I'm old.


4. Even though Emily is 9, I still love to watch her wake up in the morning. That was my favorite time of day with my babies. I rub her back and brush the hair from her face. It's a sweet time for me. Sarah wakes up earlier and to an alarm clock. She is so good that way, but mornings are hard for her. Dark winter mornings are no fun.


5. Rich and I made Tortilla Soup to take to dinner at my parents' tonight. Topped with green onions, deep fried tortilla strips (sinful), sour cream and grated cheeses. It's pretty good. My sister Tatiana (who I adore and who makes me laugh) said, "This soup is off the shizzook!" Her hip and cool quotient is in the savant range.


6. Sarah and Emily both gave talks in church today. Sarah in Sacrament meeting and Emily in Primary. They did such fine jobs! Sarah's was about strengthening the family and Emily's was about Jehovah and the Plan of Our Heavenly Father. They are amazing.


7. My mom has high blood pressure and so do I. Just had to up my BP meds. Dang. Although, if this is as bad as it gets, I can deal. While we're on the topic of my health... I may have a tiny little buzz going on from all the cough drops I've had recently. Riiiiicolaa!


8. My dad is having a total knee replacement tomorrow. Good luck Dad! I Love you. My family typically avoids illness or surgeries that might render my skills necessary. Really, the only time I've known my brother and dad to shiver with fear was at the mention of me being their nurse someday. Heh heh heh.


9. I'm the Music Chairperson in our ward. Is it totally inappropriate to get the ward choir to sing 'Love Shack' by the B-52's? We've got a great director and very accomplished accompanist. I'm even singing in the choir now, but only for moral support. I do NOT have a very good voice. I am, however, enthusiastic.


10. Rich wore a shirt today that made my heart race. A black and grey longsleeved baseball shirt. Nothing fancy... but he sure looked fine. It reminded me of when we were dating and I'd watch him play softball. Smile.


11. I love Sunday dinner with my family. I can't believe how blessed I am to be so close to my family. My brother and sister are fabulous and wonderful and they crack me up and I love them like crazy. I have the best parents, the best inlaws, the most darling nieces and nephews... you can see where I'm going with this.
Love. Them. Do.


12. I serve as the accompanist for the Primary in church. It's a great calling! We're starting to learn new songs for this year's program. Beautiful music. It makes me so happy to hear their voices singing about the gospel of Jesus Christ. I love that I get to be there while Emily is still in Primary.


13. I have 9 billion pictures in boxes and piles in my house and zero scrapbooks. I need to do something with them and I can't bring myself to get started. I love looking at pictures of my family and our life so far, I just can't even imagine where to begin. I think this is how the hoarders they show on TV must feel. Overwhelmed. I guess I'm going to have to be brave and just dive in.



There. I feel better now.

4 comments:

  1. I'm not gifted in the horticultural arts either...sad considering what I do for a living.

    If you got the ward choir to sing Love Shack I would ... I don't know what I would do, but it would be BIG!

    Good luck Tiffany's dad! I hope the surgery goes well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post! I have boxes of photos, too. Maybe we can support each other in that endeavor. Love you back, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Bet I have more boxes than both of you combined. If you don't hurry your boxes will be under Sarah or Maddi's ping pong tables and your grandchildren wouldn't know who the pitures were even if you did finally put them in albums. I think what your grand children would really like would be a few pictures with some family stories and comments...not unlike your blogs. They, your blogs, are way more wonderful than I think either of you know. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete