Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Traveling without leaving home.

One of our favorite summer pasttimes is reading. I usually read some books out loud to the girls which is so much fun because we can be scared stiff or laughing ourselves silly or teary eyed all together. We are literally on the same page. It makes for good discussions... "I'f I were him, I'd have done this" or "I think the Scarlet Hand is so and so" etc.


Our read out loud books so far have been:

The Sisters Grimm, book #7 The Everafter War
The Anybodies
The Nobodies (darling story)



Here's Sarah's list of books read since school got out:

The Moon and Sun Series, books 1 & 2
Pure Dead Series, books 1-6
The Key to Rondo
Holly Claus (she loved this one)
The Grail Quest, books 1, 2 & 3
Bella at Midnight
Dragon Lance, the New Adventures, books 1 & 2
The Wight Co. (Arthur Conan Doyle, a favorite of Sarah's)
The Encyclopedia of Music (thanks Grandpa)
King Arthur



Now Em's list of books read since summer began:

Geronimo Stilton Series, books 1-5
Avril Crump and Her Amazing Clones
Lady Grace Cavendish Series, books 3 & 4
Bella at Midnight
Artemis Fowl and the Time Paradox
A Barrel of Laughs and a Vale of Tears
The Beatrice Letters
Nancy Drew Sign of the Twisted Candles
Nancy's Mysterious Letter
Sitting Ducks
Riding Freedom
The Perfect Pony


I found Em holed up rereading one of the Sisters Grimm books. That's a fun series.


We really do get out and play- but our library cards are seeing some action.

4 comments:

  1. Well done girls! I didn't know the Sisters Grimm was up to number 8. Consider The Mysterious Benedict Society, Magic Thief, Cabinet of Wonders, and A Crooked Kind of Perfect. They are some of the 2009 Beehive Nominee Winners. Maddi and I have read some of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome book ideas. I need some new reading material for my kids. What a very timely post. Did you read my mind?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hona... you're right. I just looked at the book & it's really #7. We thought it was going to be the last one but it isn't. The girls were glad. I'll be looking into those books you listed. I haven't heard of them!

    Misty... the Fablehaven series is a fun one too! How's your summer so far? Wish we could get a shift together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The wonder of books is not a thing to take lightly. I'm so pleased that Sarah and Emily are already serious readers! You are developing two experienced book club members with your reading aloud and discussing as your go. Reading, swimming and evenings around the fire...what a perfect summer.

    ReplyDelete