Wednesday, July 29, 2009

French Cooking with Love

Recently I've been thinking of Julia Child and her work to help the average American see that good cooking, (French cooking in particular) was really within their ability to create. That got me thinking of another talented cook... Sarah.

This was early last fall when Sarah did some French cooking for a school project. She picked the tomatoes, zucchini and crooked neck squash.



She chopped the onions and squash and sauteed them in olive oil. Then she added some minced garlic and gave it another stir. She cut up a lot of tomatoes and threw those in the pot too. Gave it some salt and pepper, put the lid on and let it simmer.

After about 45 minutes, she dished it up, put some parmesan cheese on top and served it with the braided bread she made. (She learned how to make the bread at activity days. Thank you activity day leaders... we love you!) Ratatouille and warm bread. Very nice.

A while later she made potage, which is just a French word for soup. For us, it means the yummy kind of soup you make with zucchini, cooked and then pureed with garlic, salt and pepper and some milk. Extra yummy with a shot of cream! We also grate swiss cheese and sprinkle that on top. The girls like it with some parmesan cheese too.


This is what Sarah made on New Year's Eve. Its called Coquilles St. Jacques. Shrimp and scallops in a heavenly cream sauce with swiss cheese and a few spices. Browned beautifully under the broiler till you nearly weep with joy. What a sinful way to ring in the new year. Thanks Sarah!
All of these dishes are ones that our family enjoyed eating at Grandma Marcelle's table. Sarah hadn't started cooking before Grandma got sick, but Rich's Mom taught me how to make these along with her delicious quiche and her chou a la creme (creme puffs). Not every girl gets a mother in law who really is a good French cook! Now Sarah is learning.


On New Year's Eve as Sarah was getting ready to serve her Coquilles St. Jacques, my mom gave Sarah this book. Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child.

"To Sarah because she is certain to be a wonderful cook. Be sure you always enjoy your time in the kitchen and you will make others happy with your efforts as well as yourself. With all my love, Grandma
...and in fond memory of your Grandma Marcelle"

My daughters were blessed to have lovely and talented grandmothers whose combined efforts represent an impressive repertoire of delicious food and an even more impressive legacy of love and devotion to their families.

5 comments:

  1. Way to go little Frenchie! Sarah, your bread is to die for? As long as you promise to never make escargot, I will be a fan of yours.
    Loves,
    Hona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that was a major typo!!! What I meant to say, of course was, "to die for!" There is no question about the beauty and taste of your delicious breads.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! Tell Sarah that I will be over for dinner A.S.A.P.!!!!! :) All the dishes were amazing, that bread looked delightful, but best of all is that she smothers things in Swiss Cheese. YUM, YUM, YUM!!!! :) You should be so proud Tiff! Your girls are growing up to be talented ladies indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tiffany,

    I've seen pictures of you! :) Those Grand Gulch pictures were part of the family slide show for a long time!

    I've even seen the engagement ring Gord gave you all those years ago. I can't remember why but he showed it to me one night. I wonder if he still has it...

    He's one of my favorite people...my best movie companion.

    Thanks for the kind comments about my blog...

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous photos, Tiffany. I wish that I could make that Coquilles St. Jacque. I've ordered "Mastering the Art of French Cooking" from the library..Guenther and I just got home from the movie, "Julie and Julia." We loved it. Not for kids, though.

    ReplyDelete