Thursday, August 6, 2009

Scenes from Cherry Hill


Today we went to Cherry Hill. Even though it was very windy, it was still hot and we needed some splash time. Happily for us, most of the mommies with little, little kids decided the weather was too rough for them so we had our pick of choice parking spaces and lots of elbow room in Lazy River. Sweet! After floating on our tubes for a spell we headed over to the swimming pool. (FYI- Cherry Hill's Lazy River has an old west mining town theme so I must use words like 'spell')


Photo from Cherry Hill's site.

Now Sarah and Emily are doing swim team, they feel obligated to get me really moving whenever I'm in the water with them. We were at the edge of the pool with Sarah on my left, Em on my right.


Sarah - "Come on Mom. We can hang on to the side and just kick!"

Me - "Okay." Willingly complies and begins to kick (and kick hard I thought). A moment goes by.

Emily - "Mom... she's mocking you."

Me - Turns to look at my sweet eldest child. "Really?"

Sarah - "Just a little."

When did I become mockable? Don't answer that.


Next scenario. Emily decides that she will hold me. You know how in water you become light... buoyancy... that's it. I put my arm around Em's neck and she scoops me up in her arms (quite easily I thought), hefts me a little and then pronounces, "You're not the lightest fish in the ocean!" Lovely.

(A slight detour: Last week I was visiting with a male neighbor in our home when Emily walks in, interrupts our conversation and asks, "What size shoe do you wear Mom?" Extra lovely. I'm not revealing my shoe size here, suffice it to say it would be difficult for me to tip over in a very strong wind.)

Emily is shaking my confidence just a teensy bit. She's also making me laugh, so I guess its alright. I love being at Cherry Hill with my girls.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, one of the hardest things of motherhood is being gracious about some of those very personal statistics and abilities, some imposible to change and some way to much work to change. I could also touch on the gentle switch about to begin where "they" are more able and proficient then "you"...but I won't. You can't stop it, anyway!
    Thanks for sharing your relaxing day. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just giggling to myself. You are funny, Tiff! I believe Emily will "keep us real" for many years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your girls remind me of me...still. :)

    My poor dad gets a lot of grief from me...I don't think it ever ends.

    ReplyDelete